Anti-freeze is a widely used solution made with Ethylene Glycol. Although poisonous, many cats and dogs find the taste of anti-freeze very attractive, however even if a small amount of anti-freeze is consumed it can result in acute kidney failure or even death. Statistically in the UK more cats are poisoned by anti-freeze mainly because of easier access to open garages and sheds where anti-freeze is easily accessible.
What attracts cats and dogs to antifreeze?
Cats and dogs like the sweet taste of Enthylene Glycol.
The side effects anti-freeze poisoning
The first signs of anti-freeze poisoning include depression, vomiting and lack of co-ordination. The animal will then experience muscle spasms followed by acute renal (kidney) failure.
What can I do?
If you suspect your pet has been in contact with anti-freeze call Wellpets immediately. Drugs are available to combat Ethylene Glycol in the blood stream but they need to be administered quickly as they are only effective if taken before irreversible kidney damage occurs.